Burton Lasater Scott
I am a Movement Disorders Neurologist and see patients at the Morreene Rd Clinic and at the Durham VA Medical Center.
Among the types of movement disorders patients that I see in clinic are individuals who have Parkinson's disease, Essential Tremor, tics, chorea, dystonia, Huntington's disease, tardive movement disorders and Wilson's disease. I use botulinum toxin injections to treat selected patients afflicted with dystonia, tremors, and tics. I manage patients who have undergone deep brain stimulation (DBS) for the treatment of Parkinson's disease, Essential Tremor,and dystonia. In addition to managing patients who have movement disorders, I participate in a variety of clinical trials focussed on improving the management and treatment of Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease, and dystonia.
Key words: movement disorders, Parkinson's disease, tremors, tics, chorea, dystonia, botulinum toxin injections.
Education and Training
- Fellow in Neurology, Medicine, Baylor University, 1994 - 1995
- Resident in Neurology, Medicine, Duke University, 1991 - 1994
- Intern in Medicine, Medicine, Duke University, 1990 - 1991
- M.D., University of Miami, 1990
- Ph.D., Duke University, 1984
Selected Grants and Awards
- PRidopidine Outcome On Function in Huntington Disease (PROOF-HD)
- Open Label Rollover Study of Valbenazine for the treatment of HD
- Enabling Efficient, Fast, Biocompatible Exosome Separation via Acoustofluidics
- A Phase 3, Long-Term, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled trial of Troriluzole in Adult Subjects with Spinocerebellar Ataxia
- Huntington's Disease Society of America- Center of Excellence (Level 2)
- A Phase 3, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study to Assess the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of Valbenazine for the Treatment of Chorea Associated with Huntington's Disease
- ROPAD (Rostock International Parkinson's Disease Study): An International, MultiCenter, Epidemiological Observational Study
- Novel Combinatorial Screening for NTFs, NPCs, MMPs, and CCs in relevance to Autoantibodies in the Serum and CSF of Veterans with GWI
- A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of the Safety, Pharmacokinetics, and Pharmacodynamics of BIIB054 in Subjects with Parkinson's Disease. (SPARK)
- Enroll-HD: A Prospective Registry Study in a Global Huntington's Disease Cohort (A CHDI Foundation Project)
- A Phase 2a Open Label Study to Assess the Safety, Tolerability, Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Intravenous ANX005 in Subjects with, or at Risk for, Manifest Huntington's Disease
- A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multiple Ascending Dose
Study to Evaluate the Safety, Tolerability, Pharmacokinetics,
Pharmacodynamics and Immunogenicity of ABBV-0805 in Patients with
- A Phase 2, multi-center, randomized, double blind, placebo controlled study in subjects with late prodromal and early manifest Huntington Disease )HD) to assess the safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics, and efficacy of VX15/2503
- A Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of urate elevating inosine treatment to show clinical decline in early Parkinson Disease
- A Randomized,Double-Blind,Placebo-Controlled,Phase IIa,Parallel Group, Two-Cohort Study to Define the Safety, Tolerability,Clinical and Exploratory Biological Activity of the ChronicAdministration of Nilotinib in Participants with Parkinson's Disease
- Effect of LY3154207 on Cognition in Mild-to-Moderate Parkinson's Disease Dementia (PDD)
- A 4-Week, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, Randomized, Multicenter, Crossover Study of the Safety, Efficacy, and Pharmacokinetics of JZP-110 [(R)-2-amino-3-phenylpropylcarbamate hydrochloride] in Subjects with Parkinson's Disease and Excessive Sleep
- Randomized, Parallel-group, Multicenter Study to Evaluate the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of SEP-363856 in Subjects with Parkinson's Disease Psychosis
- An Open label, Long Term Safety Study of SD-809 Er in Subjects wtih Chorea associated with Huntington's Disease.
- A Phase 1 Randomized, Double-Blinded, Placebo-Controlled Single-Ascending-Dose Study of the Safety, Tolerability, and Pharmacokinetics of BIIB054 in Healthy Subjects and Subjects with Early Parkinson's Disease
- A 15 Week, Phase 2, Double Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Dose Ranging Study to Investigate the Efficacy, Safety and Tolerability of PF 06649751 in Subjects with Motor Fluctuations due to PD
- A Phase 3, Long-term, Open-label Study of Istradefylline in subjects with moderate to Severe Parkinson's Disease
- A Ph.3,Multicenter,Randomized,Doubleblind,Placebo-controlledStudy with anOpenlabelPhase to Determine the Efficacy and Safety of Tozadenant as Adjunctive Therapy in LevodopaTreated patients with Parkinson's disease ExperiencingEndofdose "Wearing Off"
- A Multicenter, Open-Label Study to Evaluate the Safety and Tolerability of Tozadenant as Adjunctive Therapy in Levodopa-Treated Patients with Parkinson's Disease Experiencing End of Dose "Wearing-Off"
- National Parkinson Foundation Center of Excellence Grant
- OL Phase 3 Study Long-Term Safety of APL-130277 in Levodopa responsive patients with Parkinson's Disease Complicated by Motor Fluctuations- (OFF episodes)
- SYN120 a Dual 5-HT6/5-HT2A Antagonist Proof of Concept Study to Evaluate its Safety, Tolerability and Efficacy in Parkinson's Disease Dementia (SYNAPSE)
- A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-controlled Study of SD-809 (Dutetrabenazine) for the Treatement of Moderate to Severe Tardive Dyskinesia
- A Phase 3, Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo controlled, Parrallel, Fixed Dose Study to Assess the Efficacy, Safety and Tolerability of NBI 98854 for the treatment of Tardive Dyskinesia
- An Open-Label, Long-Term Safety Study of SD-809 (Dutetrabenazine) for the Treatment of Moderate to Severe Tardive Dyskinesia
- A Clinical Study of Patients with Symptomatic Neurogenic Orthostatic Hypotension to assess sustained effects of droxidopa therapy
- Creatine Safety, Tolerability and Efficacy in Huntington's Disease: CREST-E
- A Non-Invasive Neuromodulation Device for Treatment of Parkinson's Disease
- Parkinson's Disease Neuroprotection Clinical Trial (Closeout Activities Budget)
- Genetics and epidemiology of essential tremor