Here is your Neurology Department D&I update for March 2023. This will be relatively brief as the committee’s efforts have been focused on our NCCU Career Explorations Day on April 29, so there hasn’t been as much else going on to report. A full advertising push has been initiated, so hopefully you’re seeing the publicity from our department, the CTSI, and the Duke-NCCU Bridge Office. Please help us spread the word to any of your contacts at NCCU who might be interested in helping us get the word out. We’re also still looking for more volunteers. You can sign up here.
Ramadan Mubarak to those who are celebrating the holy month. For everyone else, please be mindful of those who may be fasting and offer accommodations where possible to support the religious practices of our Muslim colleagues. Also, I hope those who observed Nowruz, the Persian new year, earlier this month had a wonderful celebration.
Will Alexander and Kirby Gottschalk submitted interesting videos that you might find educational.
Will provided this link of Dr. Amal Hamdan from Duke OB/GYN discussing Ramadan:
Kirby provided this link from The Lancet: Public policy and health in the USA: affirmative action and racial health justice. The webinar took place a couple of weeks ago, but you can register and watch it at your convenience.
In addition, there are a variety of upcoming trainings offered by the Duke Office of Institutional Equity for additional education on a wide variety of DEI topics. Register for the course of your choice here.
- Discrimination and Harassment: What do I do when I am confronted with a problem in my unit that might be discrimination, harassment or sexual misconduct?
- Equitable Hiring Practices: Strategies for increasing the diversity in your unit and beginning to create a positive climate in which to bring new staff
- LGBTQIA Foundations: Awareness, Inclusion, Workplace Considerations
- LGBTQIA Health: Clinical Setting Considerations
- Microaggressions and Implicit Bias: The Basics
- White Supremacy Culture: Impact on Workplace Interactions
- Inter and Intrapersonal Cultural Humility: Growing Within Ourselves and Our Relationships
- Generational Diversity in the Workplace: Creating a More Inclusive Team
- Trauma Informed Approaches for Leadership and Supervision: A DEI Lens
- Diversity: What’s COVID Got To Do With It? (Unraveling Our Collective Trauma)