Graduates of an accredited NP or PA program are eligible. Residents will be educated in general neurological principals and be capable of working in a general or subspecialty neurology practice upon completion. There will be experience in both outpatient and inpatient settings. Our graduates are highly marketable as the need for these specialty-trained practitioners is substantial.
Joel Morgenlander, MD; Program Director. Professor of Neurology and Orthopedic Surgery.
Dr. Morgenlander directed the residency program at Duke Neurology for 20 years. He also has extensive experience nationally in organizing residency and fellowship training, working with organizations such as the American Academy of Neurology, Association of University Professors of Neurology and the ACGME.
Kelly White, PA-C: Associate Program Director. Mrs. White is a provider within the General Neurology outpatient clinic. She also works alongside Dr. Morgenlander in the specialty Concussion Clinic.
Robert Blessing, ACNP, DNP: Assistant Program Director. Mr. Blessing serves as the consulting Associate Professor for the ACNP program in the Duke Nursing School and has experience in developing national and international advanced practice programs.
Residents will begin the residency program by attending the same core lectures as the Duke Neurology physician residents which review all common topics in neurology including neurological emergencies. Dr. Morgenlander will review the neurological examination in detail with the residents and then observe them evaluating each other and patients.
Didactics during the residency include:
- Weekly Neurology Grand Rounds (Category 1 CME)
- Neuroscience Lecture Series: Review of faculty derived topics
- Interesting Case Conference: Clinical review of cases
- Subspecialty conferences as available
- Weekly meeting with either Dr. Morgenlander or Ms. White to review common neurological diagnostics, professionalism or other practice related issues.
Residents will have month-long rotations with neurology faculty and APPs in both outpatient and inpatient settings. Sufficient clinical volume exists in our Duke Neurology programs to support physician and APP Neurology residency programs. Rotations will include time with the following services:
- General Neurology
- Movement disorders
- Memory disorders
- Multiple sclerosis and neuroimmunology
- Neuromuscular disease
- Inpatient General Neurology
- Inpatient Stroke
- Inpatient Consultative Neurology
- Neurological testing: including electromyography and nerve conduction study, electroencephalography, sleep studies and neurovascular are included in rotations.
Each rotation will have goals and objectives followed by an evaluation. Program directors will meet with the resident to review evaluations, clinical progress, and for career planning quarterly.
- Salary equivalent to a PGY1 intern salary at Duke
- 3 weeks of vacation
- 1 week equivalent for interviews or for CME
- Malpractice covered
- Residency appropriate textbooks and access to Continuum
How to Apply
To be eligible for the Duke Neurology APP residency program, applicants must
- Have graduated from an accredited NP or PA program
- Have national board certification as a NP or PA
- Be eligible for licensure as a NP or PA in North Carolina
- Have a DEA number
The program is recruiting APPs who would be willing to relocate to the Triangle area for future employment in a Duke Neurology related practice. Duke offers competitive salaries. The program will accept 2 APP residents each year who begin the program in the summer or immediately after graduation. We will accept new graduates as well as experienced APPs.
To apply, submit the following documents to Joel Morgenlander:
- Completed application form (download below)
- Current curriculum vitae or resume
- Three letters of recommendation, at least one from a supervising physician
- One page statement of interest in postgraduate training in neurology
Joel Morgenlander, MD
Professor of Neurology and Orthopaedic Surgery
Duke Department of Neurology
3394 DUMC, Durham, NC 27710
Or email: email@example.com