Introduction to Neurology:
This is a core series of conferences about basic topics in neurology including emergent issues. The series is repeated annually and covers the basic topics (e.g., acute stroke, brain death, herniation, status epilepticus, lumbar puncture, family meetings, etc.) that all residents need to function on the wards and clinic. During this time, no PGY-2 residents are assigned to night float to insure that they are able to attend.
The remainder of the conferences scheduled are:
Description of Conference Series:
- Behavioral Neurology: monthly, presentations by attendings and residents related to behavioral neurology.
- Clinical Neurophysiology: monthly, presentations by attendings, neurophysiology fellows and residents (PGY-3 during EEG rotation) related to central and peripheral neurophysiology.
- Evidence-Based Neurology: monthly; presentation by teams of two residents on evidence-based decision making related to a clinical question.
- Interesting Case Conference: weekly conference, informal presentations residents and attendings of interesting cases from the inpatient services or outpatient clinics. Often, puzzling cases are presented to get input from others as well as to educate others.
- Joint Conference with Emergency Department: quarterly; joint presentation by residents from both departments on topics of common interest.
- Journal Club: monthly presentation of journal articles by residents, off-campus.
- Morning Report: twice weekly conference where night float resident presents the cases seen or admitted overnight – both for discussion/feedback and for sign out to teams.
- Neuro-Intensive Care: biweekly; presentations by attendings, critical care fellows and PGY-2 residents related to critical care.
- Neurology Grand Rounds: This is the main departmental conference covering basic research, clinical research and clinical topics related to neurology. Both internal and external/invited speakers are includes, including visiting professors. This is also the main venue for morbidity and mortality conferences, as well as presentations by Chief Residents on their academic projects.
- Neuro-oncology: monthly; presentations by attendings and residents related to neuro-oncology
- Neuroradiology Conference: weekly conference, presentations by neuroradiology attendings and fellows; both neurology and neuroradiology bring interesting images for discussion.
- Neurorehabilitation Conference: quarterly; joint conference with rehabilitation
- Pediatric Neurology: weekly; presentations by attendings and residents related to pediatric neurology
- Professionalism: approximately 10 lectures over the course of the year discussing leadership skills, preparing papers/presentations, and other skills
- Stroke: biweekly; presentations by attendings, vascular neurology fellows and PGY-4 residents related to stroke
In addition to above there are several weekly subspecialty conferences, including:
- Clinical Neurophysiology Fellows Conference
- Epilepsy Surgery Conference
- Neuromuscular Conference
- Sleep Case Conference
- Stroke Office Hours